Saturday, June 22, 2013

Pick-me-up by night: pumpkin and potato

Original recipe

Tired, cold, hungry, and it's already late at night. I restrain myself from preparing the classical spaghetti midnight recipe and go for veggies: a soupy mix of potatoes and pumpkin dices.

In a small pot I warm up a bit of olive oil. Then I fry a big shallot and a clove of garlic, both minced. In the meantime I dice a medium/big unpeeled potato and a bit less than twice the quantity of pumpkin. I also boil up some water with the water boiler.

When the shallot is bronzed I add the dices of potatoes and pumpkin, a pinch of salt, a lot of black just-ground pepper, one very small crushed dried chili, some rosemary, a vegetarian bouillon (lacking stock) and water to just cover all the dices. I mix vigorously with a spatula. I bring it to a boil and then lower the fire to a simmer. I mix again a bit with the spatula and then I proceed to forget the pot on the fire for around half an hour.

When I come back the water covers only half of the exquisitely soft dices. We wolf it down hot, topped with a generous portion of grated parmesan cheese. Then the night can go on.

No comments:

Post a Comment